April 5, 2016

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan is a new Young Adult series by the author who brought us the beloved Percy Jackson series (and many other great books).


Book Description
Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers. One day, he’s tracked down by an uncle he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. His uncle tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god. The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years. When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision. Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die…” – Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1: The Sword of Summer


My Thoughts
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1: The Sword of Summer is a fun book to read, much like all of Riordan’s novels. However, to be honest, I started reading this when it was released last year (I even pre-ordered it), but due to many other personal life events going on in my life, I didn’t have the time to finish reading it. So, I started back where I left off, and finished it this week. It was an easy book to get back into reading, and I’m very happy I decided to start reading it again.

Magnus Chase and the other colorful characters make for an exciting and funny modern-day tale of Norse legends and what they could still be doing if around. I love reading about Norse mythology, and seeing them interact in truly humorous ways in this story kept me entertained, and I bet it will for you, too. I can’t wait for the second book in the series to come out in October to keep the story alive. If you enjoy Riordan’s way with words, mythology, young adult series, and are looking for a new series to read, this is it!



No comments: