October 13, 2010

The Link by Colin Tudge

Evolution is a big debate between religious views and what people think about it. This is a book review, so keep an open mind at least if you are on the opposing view of evolution. The Link by Colin Tudge is a story about the fossil named “Ida” that as he puts it is “uncovering our earliest ancestor.”


Book Description
“For more than a century, scientists have raced to unravel the human family tree and have grappled with its complications. Now, with an astonishing new discovery, everything we thought we knew about primate origins could change. Lying inside a high-security vault, deep within the heart of one of the world's leading natural history museums, is the scientific find of a lifetime - a perfectly fossilized early primate, older than the previously most famous primate fossil, Lucy, by forty-four million years.”
- The Link – Read an excerpt.


My Thoughts
The Link by Colin Tudge is a well-written story about the fossil named Ida. I find the whole evolution discussion interesting, and I like science, so this was an interesting book to me. I’m not a scientist, so I can’t say how accurate the information included in the book is. However, it was written in a way that even non-scientists could read smoothly.

I especially liked the way the author conveyed how excited those who found and studied the fossil were. Showing this made the book more exciting, which could be hard to do being that it is just a fossil and not something “alive” anymore.

Overall, I think that if you like science and learning about evolution, this would be a great book for you to read. If you are on the religious end and don’t want to read about evolution at all, this obviously wouldn’t be the book for you.



Thank you to the publisher of The Link, Back Bay Books, part of the Hachette Book Group, for providing me with a copy for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: