September 27, 2010

Get Positively Beautiful by Carmindy

Carmindy, from TLC’s What Not to Wear just came out with a new book about looking beautiful. She is an artist with makeup and I wish she was my very own personal makeup artist fairy. Her new book, Get Positively Beautiful takes me just a little closer to looking my best, thanks to Carmindy.


Book Description
“According to a recent study, only 2% of women describe themselves as 'beautiful.' (Dove Global Study 'The Real Truth About Beauty: A Global Report', 2004) The media instructs women how to 'look ten years younger,' 'cover up wrinkles,' or 'get fuller, plumper lips.' And even makeup products play off women's insecurities, promising to conceal perceived flaws, define cheekbones, or make eyelashes fuller and longer. The underlying message? That there's something inherently wrong with the way women look and that they have to spend time, money, and energy keeping up with all the ways they should 'fix' themselves.

In GET POSITIVELY BEAUTIFUL, makeup artist Carmindy from TLC's hit program What Not to Wear shows you how to change your mindset from negative fault-finding to a positive beauty philosophy. You learn how to find and focus on your best features and how to combat negative thoughts about your appearance. Carmindy demonstrates easy makeup techniques for eyes, brows, lashes, lips, cheeks, and skin, and how to adapt looks to different weather conditions and 'beauty moods.'”

- Get Positively Beautiful by Carmindy - Read an excerpt.


My Thoughts
Carmindy is one of my favorite people on What Not to Wear. Her makeup transformations on the people on the show are amazing! I would love to have a consultation with her myself, but it just is not likely to ever happen. Her books are the next best thing though, so I was really happy to be able to review her new book, Get Positively Beautiful.

In this book, Carmindy really empowers women of all shapes, colors, ethnicities, etc., to really embrace themselves. I love this because I also think everyone should stop comparing themselves to others and embrace their own best features. Sure, we all wish we could look like a certain celebrity, but that just isn’t going to happen (and would be rather scary if we could).

Another favorite section of mine is where Carmindy shows a picture of herself when she was eleven years old and was teased and her self-esteem was brought down from school bullies. I can relate to this, too. Also, the piling on of makeup to hide what we thought was our imperfections at the time. Very real, very honest.

Get Positively Beautiful gives tips and solutions to your eyes, skin, cheeks, lips, tools, what to carry in your makeup bag, what to wear for each season, and even what to wear for your mood.

I found this book to be an invaluable resource for beauty information by the Queen of Beauty herself, Carmindy. I highly recommend this book to everyone who needs a little (or a lot) help with makeup, or even those who just want to play with it and get some really good ideas.



Thank you to the publisher of Get Positively Beautiful, Center Street, part of the Hachette Book Group, for providing me with a copy for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

Andhari said...

Sounds like a positive book, definitely worth a read if it's telling women to enhance what they have and not making them feel worse about themselves. I know I do after I read a lot of diet and work out books haha

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Oh didn't know she had a book-I love her on What Not To Wear!

Anonymous said...

I love her on the show and def need to look into this! =D