September 13, 2011

National Celiac Disease Awareness Day

Today, September 13, 2011 is National Celiac Disease Awareness Day. The U.S. Senate has made today the day to become aware about this disease. This is the second year that it has been an official day, so in case you don’t know what it is… check out Gluten Freely for information about the disease. I could explain it all here, but that would be a very long post.

As someone who has this, I hope that you do go check out the symptoms, learn more about it, and really understand just how bad eating gluten is if you have this disease. If you know someone who has this, please make an effort to become more understanding about the disease. It isn’t easy to live life with this, especially in social gatherings. So, take some time out today and learn more about it.

Today I’m going to eat a gluten-free pizza made from the Bisquick pancake mix that is gluten-free. It is really quite good and the only type of pizza I’ve eaten for over a year. I only have it on special occasions, and I think today would qualify.

What are you doing for National Celiac Disease Awareness Day? Do you also have celiac disease? Share some stories with me about it, I’d love to hear it.

3 comments:

TisforTonya said...

Another lifetime ago I had the privilege to have a young boy in one of my classes. 16 years ago Celiac was almost unheard of and so this boy at age 5 had been misdiagnosed and nearly taken away from his parents before some wonderful doctor realized what was really wrong with him. It was wonderful to see him finally thriving and I will always regard that Mom as one of the best I know - the effort she made to DAILY provide him with a gluten-free lunch that was similar to what was being served to the other kids... makes me feel like a lazy mom indeed. It's nice that Celiac Disease is getting to the point where it is more recognizable!

Sheri, RN said...

TisforTonya, that is a really great story to share. I can't imagine having it at 5 back when nobody knew anything at all about being gluten free! I bet it was much harder then. It is very encouraging to hear stories like this though, because we can get through it. :)

Anonymous said...

I've seen the gluten free labels on things but never knew what it meant for people. Thank you for sharing dear.