September 21, 2012

The Baker Creek Vegan Cookbook by Jere and Emilee Gettle


The Baker Creek Vegan Cookbook by Jere and Emilee Gettle is written by two people who truly enjoy and deeply appreciate growing and harvesting their own food to cook and share with their family. If you want some inspiration and yummy recipes to do the same, this would be a great cookbook to start with.


Book Description
Tired of genetically modified food, but unsure of what to make and how to cook it? Jere and Emilee Gettle, cofounders of the Baker Creek Seed Company and coauthors of The Heirloom Life Gardener, bring you all the delicious answers in The Baker Creek Vegan Cookbook.

With a friendly voice, the Gettles take you through 125-plus vegan recipes that are healthy, easy to make, and appealing to vegetarians, meat-eaters, seasoned heirloom gardeners, and novice heirloom-eaters alike. The dishes are diverse in origin–with several plucked from the family’s own fabulous restaurant–and will leave you satisfied at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. They also share their tips and tricks on canning and preserving, as well as the staples that you need in your kitchen.

Replete with beautiful line drawings, this cookbook is a must-have for anyone interested in growing or eating heirloom vegetables and fruits.

Some of the recipes you’ll love . . .
Pink Pearl Applesauce, Blueberry Pancakes, Cambodian Yellow Cucumber Salad with Crispy Shallots, Vegetable Tempura with Thai Basil, Heirloom Spaghetti Squash with Heirloom Tomato Spaghetti Sauce, Edamame Hummus, Melon Sorbet, and Heirloom Apple Pie” – The Baker Creek Vegan Cookbook


My Thoughts
This cookbook is written very well and the couple’s passion for what they grow and eat shines through. I’m not a big gardener, but I do enjoy fresh fruit and vegetables, and knowing that the ones that I do grow are non-GMO (genetically modified) is a big plus for me. I really should do this more, and this cookbook did give me the inspiration to do so next year.

As for the recipes in the cookbook, many sounded absolutely delicious. There were some that I had no idea what the “vegan” ingredients were, but a little Google search showed that they weren’t really all that elusive or scary to cook.

The dishes do not have real, colored photographs of what they “should” look like when prepared. This is usually a big downside for me, because I like to see the dishes before I cook them. The recipes in this cookbook are pretty straightforward though, so the image wasn’t exactly necessary, but would have been nice to have included.

Overall, I like this cookbook. It uses fresh, whole foods that are healthy for the family. If you want to cook some vegan meals and learn more about using heirloom foods, I suggest reading and using this cookbook.




* Thank you to the publisher of The Baker Creek Vegan Cookbook, Hyperion, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Moriah said...

I could use some new recipes for vegan dishes. Thanks for the rec!