November 9, 2012

The Amazing Story Generator by Jason Sacher


The Amazing Story Generator by Jason Sacher is a fantastic book for writers who sometimes need a writing prompt to start a story, or to just push their writer’s block out the window. This is a flip-book that generates an almost endless amount of ideas for your next short story, novel, artwork, or anything else you would use it for creatively.


Book Description
The Amazing Story Generator creates thousands of different story prompts! This flipbook for writers and other creative types allows users to randomly combine three different elements to generate a unique story idea. With hundreds of settings, characters, and plots to mix and match, the possibilities are just about endless. Packed with colorful, wacky, and engaging prompts, this is the perfect tool for jump-starting fresh new short stories, novels, scripts, screenplays, and improv sessions.” – The Amazing Story Generator


My Thoughts
The Amazing Story Generator is a fun book to use to help think of a new writing idea. As someone who has had writer’s block more times than I can remember, this is book I am very happy to have and use to kick writer’s block to the curb. I only wish I had this book for the past ten years.

There are three sections you can flip through to find a creative writing project idea. You can do it with your eyes closed for a surprise, or you can flip through it to find something that inspires you. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

Examples of writing prompts I flipped to:

  • Ignoring the advice of friends, the world’s tallest woman gets trapped inside a popular TV show.
  • On New Year’s Eve, an unsuccessful comedian is transported to another galaxy.
  • A thousand years from now, a North Korean scientist leads the charge against a zombie army.

Overall, I think this is a very helpful and creative tool for writers, artists, and anyone who wants to be creative. It is especially useful for those with any form of writer’s block. I highly recommend it.



* Thank you to the publisher of The Amazing Story Generator, Chronicle Books, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

Carly said...

I so need this to beat writer's block!

Sarah said...

This looks like something I could have a ton of fun with!

Anonymous said...

This would be great for my writing class to use!