Thou Art That by Joseph Campbell aims at demystifying the symbols and metaphors in the Judeo-Christian religion. What do the symbols in the Bible really mean, and why is it relevant to us today? Uncover that and much more in this book!
“Woven from Joseph Campbell’s previously unpublished work, this volume explores Judeo-Christian symbols and metaphors — and their misinterpretations — with the famed mythologist’s characteristic conversational warmth and accessible scholarship. Campbell’s insights highlight centuries of confusion between literal and metaphorical interpretations of Western religious symbols that are, he argues, perennially relevant keys to spiritual understanding and mystical revelation.” – Thou Art That
Thou Art That is a very interesting book to read intellectually, and spiritually. The literal and metaphorical confusion of symbols and metaphors has confused people for much too long, and this book aims at shedding the light (no pun intended) on it all.
The chapters in this book focuses on:
* Metaphor and Religious Mystery
* The Experience of Religious Mystery
* Our Notions of God
* The Religious Imagination and the Rules of Traditional Theology
* Symbols of the Judeo-Christian Tradition
* Understanding the Symbols of Judeo-Christian Spirituality
Although this book may not be something everyone is open to read, I believe that it is one that many will enjoy and get something substantial from. If you are interested in learning more about spiritual metaphors and what they really mean, this is a book you’ll definitely want to read.
* Thank you to the publisher of Thou Art That, New World Library, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.