February 12, 2011

Kick Ass Creativity by Mary Beth Maziarz

Kick Ass Creativity by Mary Beth Marziarz is “an energy makeover for artists, explorers, and creative professionals.” Does it help to kick an artistic block to the curb? Will it help you become a more creative person?


Book Description
“It’s easy to hold our great ideas hostage, or to talk them away into things we’ll do someday, or wanted to do once, but it’s so much more thrilling to free them and watch them take flight.” – Mary Beth Maziarz

“Are you looking for more clarity, more fulfillment in your creative process? Feel like you’re stuck in a rut? Are you no longer reaching your full artistic potential? Get moving and feel great about it. Stop hesitating. What are you waiting for? Create!

Using exercises and positive, straightforward language, Mary Beth Maziarz will show you how to define, plan, and pursue your creativity. Our lives are works of art. Living is a creative act. We’re creating every day. When life gets busy, though, we ignore the creative opportunities in our lives. We fall into a rut. We are no longer living, but are merely alive.

Wake up! Have fun! Rediscover your creativity.” – Kick Ass Creativity


My Thoughts
Kick Ass Creativity by Mary Beth Maziarz is written by one artistic person for another. As a writer and various creator of other artistic outlets, I know what having a creative block is like. It isn’t fun, and can last for an hour, a day, a week, a month, or even a year (or more). It isn’t something I like to talk about, but for years I didn’t create anything. In this period of my life, I wasn’t really feeling very fulfilled and always felt the pull to create something – anything! Eventually, I did. Perhaps if I had read Kick Ass Creativity, back then, I could have started creating much sooner.

This book isn’t really a creative exercise book that tells you projects to do to create a specific thing. So, if that is what you are wanting, this probably is not the book for you. However, the questions asked and theories about energy and the creative process do help you to remove your own creative block. If you are perhaps extremely lucky and never experience a creative block in any way (I envy you), it could help you to shift your energy to help you focus more and create even more things.


Overall, Kick Ass Creativity is an excellent source for helping artists focus their energy to create. I enjoyed it and found the exercises helpful to remove some creative blocks. The only thing I would have liked that wasn’t really in it was more creative ideas to do. I recommend this book for everyone who is creative in any way, or for those who want to be but don’t know where to get started.


* Thank you to the publisher of Kick Ass Creativity, Hampton Roads Publishing Company, Inc., for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: