January 12, 2013

The Gospel of Thomas by Rev. Daniel Chesbro


The Gospel of Thomas by Rev. Daniel Chesbro with Rev. James Erickson is a helpful guide that took the original “Gospel of Thomas” and interpreted it to make it more relevant to people’s lives today. This gospel was only found in 1945, so many people don’t even know about it until reading this book (or possibly this review). If you want to explore this gospel further, and make it impactful for your life, this could be the perfect book for you to do so.


Book Description
“The Gospel of Thomas is one of the earliest texts containing the teachings of Jesus and offers profound and inspiring insights into his sayings. The Gospel is attributed to Didymos Judas Thomas, a member of Jesus’s inner circle who received his deeper teachings. The original text of the Gospel was discovered with the Nag Hammadi library in 1945 in Egypt and this interpretation of the Gospel brings Thomas’s message into today’s world and emerging consciousness. Through a unique combination of artistic renderings and a spiritually inspired interpretation of each of the 114 sayings of St. Thomas, this guide offers fresh perspectives into the teachings of Jesus and their relevance for today. From “Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds” to “I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am guarding it until it blazes,” this narrative links the intentions of the original text with modern day prophets such as P.M.H. Atwater and Stephen Hawking and the sparks behind the Arab Spring uprising and the Occupy Movement for those searching for divinity in the current moment and climate.” – The Gospel of Thomas


My Thoughts
The Gospel of Thomas is a spiritual text that interprets the 114 sayings in this gospel. It uses the author’s interpretations of the teachings to make it relevant to us in modern times. You do not have to agree with their interpretations, you could have it mean something else to you, but still be just as impactful. I love books and teachings that do this, because they are really a guide and you can find your own meaning in them if you choose to do so.

I personally enjoyed reading through these teachings and then reading the author’s interpretations on them. As I said, sometimes I came up with a little different meaning for myself – and that is okay! I suspect everyone does, and that is what makes it so special. I think this is an excellent book and I’m glad to have found these teachings. I highly recommend it!


* Thank you to the publisher of The Gospel of Thomas, Findhorn Press, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: