April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day



I’ve celebrated Earth Day since I was a kid, so this year is no exception. I’m very “Earth Friendly” and “Green.” I have green eyes even! So, it is no surprise that I am going to Blog about it too.

Yesterday I went to the Dollar Tree (where everything is $1) and bought some Earth Day supplies. I ended up getting 50 packs of flower seeds (10 for $1), 2 terra cotta planters and 5 of the plastic planters.



I’m going to plant them later today when it gets a little bit warmer and sunnier. Not all of them, but some at least.

When I lived near Orlando, FL I went to the Earth Day Birthday celebration the rock station 101.1 WJRR put on each year. It wasn’t so Earth friendly really, people generally just went for the music (they get good bands to go). At least the money went to a good cause (I hope) and I have good memories from that.

Here are some pictures I took from my scrapbook from Earth Day concerts I went to in high school.


Yes, I blacked out my ex-boyfriend’s face (who wants to see that scum anyways?)


That guy is Jimmy from Jimmy’s Chicken Shack. I actually met him a month prior to this event at a 311 concert – and he remembered me!


The Offspring and Staind (lower left corner). The Offspring was GREAT! I was at the very front of the crowd – amazing!


While I was looking up some fun facts about Earth Day, I realized the earthday.net website ran out of bandwidth or something and was unable to load. That was the first page listed on Google. Speaking of Google, if you use it today check out what you see:



Here is some educational information about Earth Day from the Earth Day Wiki page (don’t say you never learn anything from my Blog):

Earth Day, celebrated April 22, is a day designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth's environment. It was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in in 1970 and is celebrated in many countries every year. This date is Spring in the Northern Hemisphere and Autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.

The United Nations celebrates an Earth Day each year on the March equinox, which is often March 20, a tradition which was founded by peace activist John McConnell in 1969.


Earth Day Links:

http://www.earthday.gov/

http://www.epa.gov/earthday/

http://holidays.kaboose.com/earth-day/

http://earthday.envirolink.org/

http://earthday.wilderness.org/

http://www.worldwildlife.org/sites/earthday/index.html

9 comments:

Andhari said...

Go green, Sheri! Happy earth day!:)

Bobby G said...

earth day was good times back in the day...we got to eat food for some reason in elem school and we got to pick up trash, but in MI it often was snowy on earth day, then we didnt do shit! lol

BIBI said...

Happy Earth Day to you as well!

Love the pics!

PSSST... I have an award for you at my blog! Come check it out!

Sheri, RN said...

Earth Day rocks! I just got chased by 2 bees and ended up only planting seeds in one of those planters so far. It is hot now too. I'll post an update late on what I actually end up getting done. LOL

Yay thanks Bibi! You know I love awards :)

Sheri, RN said...

later* ugh can't spell worth crap right now.

Unknown said...

SOOOOOOOOO Fantastic!!!!!!! You and your mom are doing so much it it's so awesome!! I still have yet to start a compost or grow my own food ...I keep saying once I get a house and a backyard I will ...hopefully soon!

Congrats on being SUPER GREEN!

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures! I guess it's safe to say you don't care too much for your ex. Have fun planting your flowers!

Lee said...

http://www.chegg.com/ is a great way to help the environment, in a weird way.
You can rent textbooks, which saves trees. : )
I love your scrapbook! I wish I had the initiative to make one.
And my seeds are sprouting in the back yard!! Don't you love when your seeds sprout?

Sheri, RN said...

Aww thanks for the comments :)

I can't wait till these seeds pop up. I'll seriously be counting down the days. Then they get to go into bigger pots and the ground who-oo! :)

Oh, and no I do not like the ex-boyfriend at all. We haven't talked since I saw him randomly at Publix in Orlando while in college. That was a funny thing too because I was with my roommate grocery shopping and she was like "wow he would have been lucky to have you - he is such a loser" LMAO!

I have much better layouts in my scrapbook, I may just post some more on here now that I know people would be interested in seeing them - thanks! :)

Side note - I use smileys too much huh? :P