July 18, 2012

A Year of Writing Dangerously by Barbara Abercrombie


A Year of Writing Dangerously by Barbara Abercrombie is a book that all writers should use to help them write 365 days out of the year. It is filled with fun anecdotes, quotes, writing prompts, and much more!



Book Description
In this collection of anecdotes, lessons, quotes, and prompts, author and writing teacher Barbara Abercrombie provides a delightfully varied cornucopia of inspiration — nuts-and-bolts solutions, hand-holding commiseration, and epiphany-fueling insights from fellow writers, including Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winners and Abercrombie’s students who have gone from paralyzed to published.” – A Year of Writing Dangerously




My Thoughts
A Year of Writing Dangerously is a seriously useful tool to help with writing, even dangerously if you so desire. Each day has an anecdote or inspiration to some degree for you to read. Beneath that is an inspirational quote from an author, which I always found to be highly encouraging.

The days aren’t listed by days of the month, they are numbered 1-365, so you can start your year of writing on any day of the year you wish. I really like the whole idea of this book, and hopefully in a year from now I’ll be finished with my very own novel.

I found this book to be an incredibly helpful writer’s tool. It inspired me to not only come up with a new idea for a novel, but also pushed me to go back and look at one I started writing a few years ago. Barbara Abercrombie is an excellent writing coach just from this book alone, and I’m sure I would be amazed by what her actual in-person writing classes are like.

I highly recommend this book for all writers to have in their writer’s space, especially if you suffer from any form of writer’s block.



* Thank you to the publisher of A Year of Writing Dangerously, New World Library, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

This is just the book I need! I've been suffering with writer's block for years so hopefully this book can help me kick it to the curb!

Lucy said...

Just what I need :)

Michelle said...

I am so getting this!