July 9, 2014

Writing Wild by Tina Welling

Writing Wild by Tina Welling is the type of book that is about writing, but it also helps to make the writer aware that nature influences how and sometimes why we write. Even if you aren’t writing about nature exactly, it can definitely set the spirit of what your topic is about. Find out how you can use this to your benefit with this book!


Book Description
Even if we don’t write about nature, Tina Welling demonstrates, nature triggers our stories. This is because “everything we know about creating, we know intuitively from the natural world.” One can set the stage for creation by following these three steps: consciously naming the information gathered by the senses, describing the sensory details of one particular object, and interacting with the energy system of the universe. Welling discovered the last step while hiking and observing an intricate spiderweb shimmering in sunlight. Spiderwebs, she notes, are both “wondrous and ordinary” — ordinary in that they are made of chewed-up insects, yet wondrous in their intricacy. Welling shows writers how to make this kind of connection between the everyday and the hidden, worthy-of-attention beauty all around us. She makes the process of developing a fruitful relationship with wildness inside and out accessible to all writers and insight seekers.” – Writing Wild


My Thoughts
Writing Wild made me see how nature definitely influences my writing style. I often write in my room, where I can’t see any bit of nature at all – except on the background image of my desktop computer that sits above my laptop. However, with a fresh perspective and location change of where I write, what I’m writing changes, too. Even though I don’t write about topics that are specifically about nature, it has helped shine on some of what I write.

This book can help you to see how forming a relationship and being a part of nature can help you creatively, how it can help your skills, and much more! Tina Welling fills this book with helpful tips and truly does an excellent job of making this book a valuable resource to that all writers can benefit from. I highly recommend it!



* Thank you to the publisher of Writing Wild, New World Library, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: