May 10, 2010

21 Things to Create a Better Life by Todd Bottorff

Creating a better life isn’t an easy thing to do. You need motivation, determination and a guide or plan that you can identify with. 21 Things to Create a Better Life by Todd Bottorff is truly a great guide for such a task.

In this book, Bottorff shares 21 simple ways to create a better life for yourself to be healthier, wealthier and wiser. Some may seem like they are just too easy to make much of a difference, but after trying them for 21 days – you may change your mind.

The 21 things outlined in this book are easy and affordable (if not free) to help you create the life you want. Bottorff suggests doing these 21 things for 21 days to get into the habit of doing them to create the change.

With all self-help books I read, I generally stick to ones that work for me, but that doesn’t mean I don’t give all the tips a chance. Here are some of the ones I will continue to use for my “better life” that I didn’t do prior to reading this book…

Drinking more water (the first tip) is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I admit it, I drank way too much coffee and diet soda. After reading that a study found that up to 75% of Americans are “chronically dehydrated” I realized I really needed to do something about this one – for myself. I can say that after drinking more water I do feel better and while I do still have some coffee and soda, it doesn’t make up the majority of my daily fluid intake anymore.

Another bad habit I had was that I’d sometimes eat in the 2 hours before I went to sleep. Sometimes I stay up until 2AM (or later), and sometimes I go to sleep at 11PM. I’m unpredictable like that I guess. So, sometimes I’d end up eating before I went to sleep (thinking I wouldn’t be going to sleep soon). Now however, I only eat something if I know I won’t be going to sleep 2 hours before I go to sleep. If I do eat something, I make myself stay up those 2 hours. I’m not sure how much this is helping me be healthier (yet), but it is making me eat less after dinner, so that is always a good thing.

Walking after dinner isn’t something that is that feasible to do around here (bugs are a big issue). So instead of that, I am just walking or making sure I exercise in some way at least once a day. I notice a difference, and I actually quite enjoy it now.

Overall, I really enjoyed 21 Things to Create a Better Life by Todd Bottorff. This is a self-help book that gives 21 simple things to change in your life to make your life start changing in better ways. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to change something in their life, or knows someone who could use an encouraging guide to do so in their life.


This book is part of Turner Publishing’s Good Things to Know series which “focuses on simple, pragmatic actions that can have a strong and lasting impact in the lives of readers.” – Turner Publishing.

* Thank you to the publisher of 21 Things to Create a Better Life, Turner Publishing for providing me with a review copy of this book.

3 comments:

Jillene said...

I am a huge water drinker--which make me a huge bathroom user!! But I guess that is the point, huh?!

I try not to eat past 7pm. It's just a habit I try to stay in.

I need to be better with the whole exercise thing. I think that if I find something I love to do--it will be so much eaiser.

Wendyburd1 said...

I actually need to eat more small meals so I can't follow that one. I eat 4 small meals a day and need to make it 6. I drink splenda made koolaid which is basically water and propel flavored water so I get a lot of water since I can't drink soda.

Lucy said...

They do say it is small changes that usually make a differences and last!