May 7, 2012

Domino’s Gluten Free Pizza? Not Really


Domino’s pizza chain announced today that they are now offering small (10-inch) pizzas with a gluten free crust in all of their stores across the USA. They partnered with the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness to help make sure that their gluten free pizza met their criteria.

As someone who has Celiac Disease and has also worked at Domino’s in the past, I am highly suspicious of this “gluten free” pizza actually being free of gluten 100% - which people who have Celiac Disease has to have.

As a former employee, I can verify for you that at the location I worked at wasn’t the cleanest, and even pans used to cook food were rarely washed (as in a few times a year). The gluten contamination at Domino’s would not ensure that a pizza with this gluten free crust would in fact be gluten free. In fact, I can assure you that it is likely going to be contaminated.

To push this point further, Domino’s company statement on the matter states that they don’t even recommend this crust for people with Celiac Disease. The company’s release states that “Domino’s and the NFCA found that while the crust is certified as gluten free, current store operations at Domino’s cannot guarantee that each handcrafted pizza will be completely free from gluten.”

People who actually would have to have the crust can’t even eat it. As someone who really misses eating pizza that isn’t homemade, it is quite sad. To me, it seems like they are just trying to jump on the gluten free bandwagon without actually taking steps for people who have to live gluten free to benefit from. 

8 comments:

Mandy said...

Are you serious about them not washing the pans and stuff?!?!?!?!? OMG that is sooooo gross! I hope my pizza place washes them ugh! I need to start doing kitchen inspections before I eat at places haha!

Best Pizza said...

Really? Well, it better taste good because people allergic to gluten need more food choices.

Sheri, RN said...

I am serious about the uncleanliness at their stores, again at least for the franchise I worked at. I found it disgusting and asked them many times about it. The pans used to cook the pizza they claimed were "cleaned" when they were used to go through the oven to "cook" the food because it was so hot..... gross huh? Also they were so gross they had to take them to an outside carwash to wash maybe twice a year when they did wash them. :(

Steph said...

Wow. Just WOW.

That is like Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares show!!!

Sheri, RN said...

LOL I thought that many times too Steph!

Anonymous said...

That is such a misleading thing for them to be doing - and charging more for when in fact the actual pizza isn't gluten free! What a ripoff!!!!! I also have celiac disease and was excited to see that they had this offered now but UGH !!!!!! I hate them now and how gross they didnt wash the pans!

Anonymous said...

You need to blow the lid off this one

Unknown said...

OMG!!!!!!