May 11, 2012

Review of The Sims 3: Showtime - Katy Perry Edition

The Sims 3: Showtime Collector’s Edition with Katy Perry is the first real game that The Sims 3 has done that featured a celebrity, and was used in the game (for that edition at least) that also included personal items for fans to use in their game. The actual Katy Perry Sim isn’t included in the edition, but she is available for download via the exchange, and if you bought this special edition, you can also download some of her cool stage props and costumes.

About the Expansion Pack
Make your rise to fame in The Sims 3 Showtime Katy Perry Collector’s Edition with unique Katy Perry themed in-game content and an exclusive poster. This Collector’s Edition includes The Sims 3 Showtime Expansion pack, plus downloadable content including an Ultimate Stage bonus venue, iconic Katy Perry themed items, and an exclusive poster. The iconic content includes fashions, a guitar, a hairstyle and various Katy Perry themed stage props. Venture into a new world of Starlight Shores and live the story of your Sims as they become superstar singers, acrobats, magicians… and they can even moonlight as DJs. Watch your Sims rise to fame—or go down in flames as they perform and practice for other Sims.

New optional social features allow you to share your big moments and connect with friends and fans of The Sims like never before. Send your Sim into a friend’s game using the new, optional SimPort feature to perform in their world, book gigs in their town, go on tour and be reviewed. Along the way, earn rewards for achieving goals and accomplishing special challenges that can be tracked and shared via in-game social wall posts and beyond.

Features:
o Collector’s Edition: Enjoy The Sims 3 Showtime Expansion pack and an Ultimate Stage bonus venue plus special Katy Perry themed iconic content including fashions, a guitar, a hairstyle, and various stage props plus an exclusive Katy Perry poster

o Rise to Stardom: Venture into a new world and live the dream as a singer, acrobat, magician or moonlight as a DJ. Watch your Sims rise to fame—or go down in flames as they perform for other Sims.

o Create New Sims: New traits and Lifetime Wishes give you more tools to tell stories the way you want to.

o A Whole New World: The brand new world of Starlight Shores features new venues and new objects to hone your Sims’ talents.

o Make Your Rise to Fame: Build your own custom stages and see your Sims perform in sold-out arenas and in front of packed crowds.

o Book or Host Gigs: Using the optional SimPort feature, send your Sim to a friend’s game to perform in their world, earn rewards, book gigs, go on tour and even be reviewed.

o Be Connected (Optional): Make new friends, connect and share your stories and experiences without ever leaving the game. Using the new individual in-game news feeds, messaging, and live updates, post your Sims’ successes, share gameplay techniques, create wish lists and gifts, search for new friends and share memories.

o New Achievement System: Earn rewards for achieving goals and accomplishing special challenges that can be tracked and shared via in-game news feeds and messages.

- The Sims 3: Showtime

My Thoughts
The Sims 3: Showtime is such a fun expansion pack, I honestly don’t know where to start. I haven’t had such fun playing this game since the Late Night expansion pack (you know, the one that added in vampires).

For this EP, the new town of Starlight Shores was added, so I made a new game there and started playing with my Katy Perry Sim that I downloaded from the exchange. I dressed her in different outfits that match her personality, created a really cool house for her to live in, and even had her have a pink cat named Kitty Perry. Very cute!


I first had her become an acrobat. Mainly because her main profession would overall be the Singer one, and I wanted to try out being an acrobat with her. It was fun, and the costumes for the career were very much inspired by acrobats. I liked doing the blazing ring of fire routines and bouncing on the ball the most. Although, the contortions that they can do is quite amazing!


I then had Katy join the Singer profession. While I was trying to level her up in this career, I also had her learn how to use the guitar so she could perform with it onstage, too. I had fun with this career for her, and the gigs were all received very well by the audiences.


I created a new vampire Sim, Eric Northman to become my Magician Sim. I saw that they could levitate, and well, in the True Blood series, Eric can levitate/fly, so it was a natural fit. There is actually quite a lot of options to do as a Magician too, including being buried alive and vanishing other Sims in the audience. It was fun and just the pure fact that a vampire can levitate in the game is fun.

I played connected to the new achievement system and SimPort. It wasn’t always perfect, and I had to add in a lot of new friends to see anyone who wanted to host a Sim, or find someone to host mine. However, it is quite fun (when it works). Plus, it unlocks stage props and costumes if you do enough of them. Some of the achievements will take a while to earn, and I hope that they add in more to try and earn from previous expansion packs, too.

If you play The Sims 3, this expansion is one that you do not want to skip. I love it and if you are a Simmer, I bet you will too!

* Thank you to the publisher of The Sims 3: Showtime, Electronic Arts, and Gamers Gate for providing me with a digital copy of this game and allowing me to review it. All experiences and opinions expressed are my own.

8 comments:

Mandy said...

Those are some excellent screenshots! This looks like a fun EP and I too love Late Night and the vampires haha

I will look for this one on GG and hopefully get soon! Summer courses and Fall ones after is killing my bank account.

Steph said...

Agree w/mandy! GREAT screenshots that make me want to play. It also makes me want the Katy edition she is awesome adn will make this edition even better yo!

Sheri, RN said...

Thanks Mandy & Steph! I really enjoy this expansion pack. I can't pick a favorite profession to play as now lol I just wish the SimPort worked a little better for me. :)

Anonymous said...

So cool! I will def be getting this for me and my daughter (we are both gamers)

Anonymous said...

I bought this last week or so? Still need to DL i t but it looks like a GREAT game!!!!!

Will said...

Great review!

Mike said...

Love the vampire magician idea I will give that a try

Unknown said...

LOVE this game! Definitely want to get this one!