February 20, 2009

Flashback Friday - Rainbow Brite


Rainbow Brite was my favorite cartoon as a kid. I had the whole canopy bed setup, curtains, the dolls, books, stickers, videos – if it was Rainbow Brite I am rather sure I threw a fit in the store and had to have it. Sorry Mom! Here is a cute picture of me with some of the items. Anyone else see the resemblance I have to the cartoon?



A few years ago when I was obsessed with Ebay I bought the dolls and some books. I wish my Mom would have saved them from when I was a kid, but I don’t know what happened to them. They were either sold in garage sales, donated to Salvation Army or thrown out. So anyways, I re-bought them. I also bought the DVD of the episodes and the movie. I would take a picture of them, but they are in storage and hard to get to right now.

For those of you that don’t remember Rainbow Brite (except for seeing it on VH1’s I Love the 80s) and those of you that would like to reminisce too, here is The Story of Rainbow Brite from The Rainbow Brite Story pamphlet.

In a faraway place, right at the end of the rainbow, there is a magical kingdom where all the colors of the earth are created. The kingdom is called Rainbow Land, and living in this wonderful place is a lovable, creative little girl named Rainbow Brite. She uses the colors of the rainbow to make our world brighter and our hearts lighter.

Rainbow Brite's best friend is a magical flying horse named Starlite. He serves as Rainbow's protector and guardian, and as her swiftest means of transportation.

Rainbow's partners are the Color Kids - seven little people with personalities as varied as the colors of the rainbow. They are responsible for their assigned colors, and for organizing and leading the groups of sprites that match their hues.

The sprites are colorful, happy little workers who mine and manfacture "star sprinkles", the magic crystals which form the colors. The favorite sprite of Rainbow Brite is Twink, a white and furry little bundle of energy who was once a sprite of a different color!

The villians of Rainbow Land are Murky Dismal and Lurky - two nasty creatures who live in a place called The Pits. They hate everything colorful and are always plotting ways to capture Rainbow Brite. They want to use color for trickery and evil doings so that the world will be just as murky and dismal as they are.

Join Rainbow Brite and her forces of color as they challenge the forces of gloom, in a struggle to keep the world bright and colorful, and to keep our hearts hopeful and happy.




The website rainbowbrite.net is my favorite place to go for all things Rainbow Brite. So, I wanted to plug it in here. They have a huge amount of things to fill your Rainbow Brite fix including: print out coloring book pages, sounds, pictures, videos, wallpapers, screensavers, information, discussion and more!

They also posted that Hallmark released new images of Rainbow Brite (which will be used soon for things I hope). What do you think of her new look? I like it! I hope they make new cartoons again.



Also, Playmates Toys has been granted the master toy license for Rainbow Brite and is coming out with new dolls for Rainbow Brite, Moonglow, Tickled Pink, Starlite, Sunriser and Shimmer for Fall 2009!!! Are you excited too?

13 comments:

Jenni said...

I didn't LOVE rainbow bright, but I did like her. I had a sheet set with her and on the pillow case one side had Rainbow bright and friends. The other side had her and, in the background on the bottom right, the villans house. I had to sleep on the pillow on the opposite side as the villan with my head on the very edge of the opposite corner.

I remember thinking he would give me bad dreams if I didn't.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane :)

Paula said...

Such an adorable photo of you :) I remember Rainbow Brite, but I was more of a Strawberry Shortcake and Smurf fan.

Hepburn Hilton said...

I never even hear of it! lOL

Jenny Melzer said...

My sister was more into Rainbow Brite than I was, but she was younger. I do remember her, and I wanted to be like her even as a teen. I was pretty out there in the best kind of way. :D I was just telling my daughter yesterday she should dress like Rainbow Brite if she wants to make a statement. :)

BIBI said...

My sisters were more into Rainbow Brite than I ever was. The new look is pretty and looks fabulous! I need to check out the website. My little girl's would love something like this. Thanks for sharing Sheri!

Anonymous said...

OMG sooo cute!!!
Can't decide if the rainbows or you. YOU def are adorable!:] Still gorgeous.. but youngster photos are irresistable.
i loved the care bears.

ps what happened to our fav rpattz blog???

Sheri, RN said...

Thanks for all the comments and remembering of Rainbow Brite. :)

Freyanator - I don't know what happened to that blog, it is saying it is not up any longer :( I hope it comes back up!

The Garver Family said...

This cracks me up. I think we were cut from the same mold or something. I LOVE Rainbow Bright...I had so many accessories. I even had the fragrance...ya...I was a little freakish I guess.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I was into Rainbow Brite. Don't remember much about her.

I love that picture of you!

Andhari said...

YOURE SOOOO CUTEEEEE..I want to pinch. lol.:)

Wendyburd1 said...

Okay that last picture is SO not Rainbow Brite!!

Lucky Irish Gal said...

I had rainbow brite sheets. I kept them until I was 21. I loved the movie Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer.

Mary Ann Moreno-binuya said...

rainbow brite was on of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid, it was also being aired in the phils when I was still young. I also loved japanese cartoons like ghost fighters, dragon ball and many more.