July 28, 2010

The Good Stuff Cookbook by Spike Mendelsohn

When looking for a cookbook, we want good stuff that isn’t too hard to make, right? The Good Stuff Cookbook by Spike Mendelsohn aims to do just that. Spike’s philosophy of “taking classic American comfort foods made from local, farm-fresh ingredients, and giving them the good stuff twist” accomplishes his goal of making “good stuff.”


Cookbook Description
“One of the most popular contestants ever on the hit television show Top Chef, Chef Spike Mendelsohn is one of the hottest celebrity chefs on the scene. His new restaurant in Washington, D.C., Good Stuff Eatery, has been a resounding success and even claims First Lady Michelle Obama as a fan. In The Good Stuff Cookbook, he serves up fast, fun, and fresh recipes for classic fare like burgers, sides, shakes, and desserts, as well as menu suggestions for all types of events, from big parties to casual family dinners.

You'll find old favorites with a twist: unique and tasty sauces and mayonnaises like Good Stuff Sauce and Curry Mayonnaise; fan-favorite sides like Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus; the famous Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake, malts, and floats; and, of course, Chef Spike's crowd-pleasing burgers made with beef, turkey, chicken, pork, and even lamb.

• The book features 120 fresh and delicious recipes and 140 full-color photos
• Mendelsohn is one of the hottest up-and-coming chefs on the food scene with two new restaurants, a new web-based show on Food2.com called "By The Book, Off The Hook," and a number of other projects in the works
• This is the perfect all-American cookbook for anyone who loves great casual comfort food like burgers, fries, and shakes, but wants to shake things up with a gourmet touch

Just in time for Independence Day barbecues and summertime cookouts, The Good Stuff Cookbook offers a fresh and inventive take on classic American food.”
– The Good Stuff Cookbook


My Thoughts
I love eating good stuff, who doesn’t? So, I was happy to get to try out some of Spike’s recipes included in this cookbook. I couldn’t eat some because they contain gluten, and some beef (which I don’t eat out of choice, but the gluten isn’t negotiable). All of the pictures included did make everything look very, very appetizing and almost had me giving in on both food issues of mine.

I first started simple, something I knew I couldn’t screw up. I’m not the best chef in the world, though I do try my best. The “Very Berry Shake” looked really appetizing (and easy). Mine didn’t look quite as good as the picture, but it was yummy nevertheless and quite easy to make.

Michelle’s Melt” was named after Michelle Obama, is a turkey burger inspired by the First Lady’s garden at The White House. I love turkey burgers, so I insisted on trying this (on gluten-free bread). Mine actually looked similar to Spike’s, and tasted amazing! Seriously, try this if getting this cookbook – right away!

Spike’s Village Fries” are handmade French fries that are amazing! I did bake them though instead of frying, and I used olive oil instead of canola oil, but the spices used were the same, and I loved it!

The Good Stuff Cookbook is quite possibly the perfect American good stuff cookbook. It includes so many recipes that people of all ages and palates enjoy in America. This wouldn’t be a cookbook that would go unused, and is perfect for summer barbecues and cookouts.


* Thank you to the publisher of The Good Stuff Cookbook, Wiley, for providing me with a review copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

erica said...

Interesting book!

xo

Wendyburd1 said...

Was he on Top Chef?

Sheri, RN said...

Yes Wendy, he was. :)