January 5, 2011

High Voltage Tattoo by Kat Von D

High Voltage Tattoo by Kat Von D is a visually stunning book that is designed like a scrapbook to show off the life and art of Kat Von D. This is a great book if you are a fan of L.A. Ink, tattoos, or just Kat herself.


Book Description
“High Voltage Tattoo is a graphic perspective on today's global tattoo culture by Kat Von D, star of The Learning Channel's L.A. Ink and one of the most talented and popular artists working today. Designed in a style that is reminiscent of a handmade Gothic journal with its red padded cover, ornate typography, and parchmentlike pages, it throws the door wide open to tattooing culture in the way only an insider like Kat can.

High Voltage Tattoo traces Kat's career as an artist, from early childhood influences to recent work, along with examples of what inspires her, information about the show and her shop, her sketches, and personal tattoos. The book goes deep into tattoo process and culture: readers can see up close the pigments, the tools, and the making of complex, even collaborative, tattoos.

With a foreword by Mötley Crüe's Nikki Sixx, the book features images and stories about celebrities, rockers, pro skaters, and everyday citizens, including Slayer's Kerry King, Anthrax's Scott Ian, Margaret Cho, Jackass' Bam Margera, David Letterman, and many others. It profiles and showcases the work of artists Kat has selected from all over the world, her interviews with people who have compelling tattoos and stories, and amazing images of extraordinary tattoo work. Numerous portfolios throughout the book showcase a range of relevant subjects, from the black and gray portrait work for which Kat is famous to a popular tattoo theme, such as the rose or biblical images. There is a knockout ten-page full-body spread of Kat—clad in a yellow bikini and seven-inch, rhinestone-studded red stilettos—that catalogs in detail all her personal tattoos on her front, back, left, and right sides—even her hands and head.” – High Voltage Tattoo


My Thoughts
L.A. Ink is a great show on TLC that I’ve watched many episodes of. Reality shows that show off artwork with tattoos is fun to watch. I may not personally have a tattoo, or plan to get one in the near future, but if I ever did, it would have to be from someone as talented as those on that show. They make the standards high!

High Voltage Tattoo by Kat Von D is all about who she is as an artist, and as a person, giving you a glimpse into the highly interesting life that she lives. You get to see pictures of the first tattoos she ever gave, and even her artwork as a child.

Ever wonder what Kat Von D’s tattoos mean, or just want a closer look at them? Well, inside High Voltage Tattoo, you get to see Kat’s tattoos up close and personal, and she explains what they mean to her. Very cool part of the book.

Overall, I really liked the book. It still doesn’t make me want a tattoo (unless it is temporary) but I still enjoyed looking through it. If you like Kat, enjoy tattoos, or perhaps just like L.A. Ink, you will enjoy this book too. I also think that this book would make a perfect gift for someone you know that also loves tattoos. They may have never heard of this book, and it would be a very fun surprise gift!


* Thank you to the publisher of High Voltage Tattoo, Collins Design, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have watched a few episodes of L.A. Ink. I really like the stars by her eyes. I have a few tattoos on my lower back and low on my neck. I don't think I can pull off too many. I would pick this book up to look it over but not sure I would buy it.