June 4, 2010

Fairies and Magical Creatures: Pop Up Book Review

Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures by Matthew Reinhart and Robert Sabuda is a popup book like no other. This magical book captures audiences young and old just by simply opening it.

This superb popup book includes the origins of fairies, the many different types of fairies, the fairy realm, elves and gnomes, mermaids, unicorns, phoenixes, griffons, and much more! The information to go with the beautiful illustrations is a truly perfect fit for learning about the many different kinds of fairies and the lore that leaves us fascinated by them.



Book Description:
“Open this entrancing book and meet Shakespeare’s Queen Titania, springing up with her silver wings aflutter. Further on, a crystalline elfin castle rises into the clouds, not far from some scary hobgoblins and trolls. And on a truly stunning spread, a humanoid magical tree spreads its branches to reveal a face within its foliage, while flowers unfold and rearrange their petals, turning into flower fairies. Visiting mythical beings around the world, from household brownies to the merfolk lurking deep below the sea, this breathtaking 3-D book, brimming with facts and fancy, will hold humans of all ages in its spell.

Introducing a dazzling new series premiere! The world’s pop-up masters invite you to peek inside the fairy realm as it transforms before your eyes.”
– Candlewick Press


My Thoughts:
This is one of the rare diamonds of a book I’ve come across in a long time. It is an astonishingly stunning book visually and full of fairy information fully researched. It is to me, the perfect fairy book for all ages.

It is so beautiful though, I would personally not let young children too close to it. They like to grab at things too much and would ruin it. It would be best to read to them with the child (not grabbing at it) and able to look at it in all its glory while being read to. It is a very special book, and if treated properly, it would become a very special book for the child as they grow up as well.



I’ve loved fairies for as long as I can remember. They are simply magical to me, and I’ve read everything I could on them for as long as I’ve been able to read. Finding information on fairies was however, not such an easy task as a child. Sure, there were fairy tales and the most known fairy of all, Tinkerbell. I was rather smart even at a young age though and wanted to know more. Our school librarian just explained they didn’t have anything else available. There was no internet then (or amazing books like this), so googling was out of the question too.

I highly recommend this book for all those who love fairies. It is also a perfect book for someone you know who does, or a child in the family who would love this book as well.



If you are interested in Fairies and Magical Creatures, check out the publisher’s webpage for it. Under the other resources listed for it is a video which shows the popup pages of the book and the other hidden surprises in the pages. Warning: this will make you want the book even more.


* Thank you to the publisher of Fairies and Magical Creatures, Candlewick Press for providing me with a copy for this review. All opinions expressed are my own.

8 comments:

Lucy said...

I will have to star this review and grab this for my daughter later. This sounds like something she would totally enjoy.

furygirl3132 said...

This sounds like a fun and interesting book, my oldest would love this! I am a new follower from Friday Follow, hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Eloise
Mommy2TwoGirls
http://mommy2twogirls.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Really lovely pictures. Found you from the Hop.

Steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com said...

Love your blog. Fairy tales and PNR have the greatest art. Some days I don't even have to read, I can just look at the covers.

Found you on the hop - hope you will stop by www.fangswandsandfairydust.com where I review books and comment on the paranormal, supernatural, creatures and magic where ever it pops up!

Lover Of Romance said...

I love your blog!!! Especially the header, way adorable!!! I am now a follower!!! Found you through the hop!!! Hope you are having a great weekend!!!

Happy Reading!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

love the picture ! thanks for stopping by and for following have a lovely day :)

Rachel said...

Just stopping by via the hop! I love meeting my fellow book bloggers so just thought I would say hello!

And the plot thickens...

Stacey said...

That looks so beautiful!