June 14, 2010

What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life

What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life by Kim Johnson Gross is a book about how to evolve your wardrobe as you age. It isn’t just a book about what not to wear as you age, but also about how to find great style mentors and shape your closet to be what you really want it to be.


Book Description
Every woman's closet-no matter the size-is a room of her own. In that space hang side by side the special occasions and the everyday, the triumphs and the disasters, the memories we want to keep and those we should jettison. Gross helps us to reconsider our closet identity and discover who we want to be. She shares her personal journey and the intimate, poignant and often humorous stories of the dozens of women she interviewed across the country. Along with calming fashion advice about how to choose flattering clothes that will fit any woman's shape and style, Gross's engaging stories will help every woman evolve gracefully from wife to mother, from empty-nester to globe-trotting adventurer--whatever role she chooses--while letting her style express her inner beauty. – What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life

My Thoughts
The way that Kim Johnson Gross writes is engaging and entertaining, so it makes it a book that is rather easy and enjoyable to read. The book is aimed more towards the 40-50+ age group, but the author provides great tips and resources for women of all ages when it comes to fashion.

I especially enjoyed the idea of having a style wall and style mentors. I’ve been pulling out ads of my favorite designers and celebrities I like for years. I’ve never done much with these pieces of paper and ads though. This gave me a fantastic idea to actually put them to use by creating a style journal or something to do with it. I think I’m going to start with my Prada and Gucci ads (two of my favorite designers).

Closet maintenance is another topic largely discussed in What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life. I’m a big believer in cleaning out your closet and keeping what you wear often available for you to do so. Even if you don’t toss out what doesn’t fit you right now, it doesn’t have to be hanging. Storing it properly, as suggested by Kim Johnson Gross as well, saves it and doesn’t take up hanging space in the feel good closet.

Overall, I think that What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life is a book that will stand the test of time (and fashion). It is a great book to really look at yourself, your closet, and feel good in the end – it is amazing what a little fashion and closet therapy can do for you.


* Thank you to the publisher of What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life, Springboard, part of the HachetteBookGroup for providing me with a review copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Sounds like an interesting book! Thanks for the review ;)

rachaelgking said...

Buying this for my mama immediately. ;-)

Sheri, RN said...

That is awesome, let me know how she likes it LiLu. :)

Paper Hearts said...

Hmm...I've been looking for a book like this for a while now! Thanks.