June 9, 2010

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

When I read that there would be a new Twilight book, I was ecstatic! I obviously love Twilight and vampires and books. It was only natural I’d pre-order it and have it read the very same day it arrived.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner is about a character that wasn’t in Eclipse for very long. However, Stephenie Meyer wanted to bring this character to life more and ended up with this book in the process. I love when surprise extras from favorite series are thrown at fans. Meyer even let her fans read the book for FREE on her website for a month. Not something too many authors would be willing to do. I applaud her for this!



Book Description
“Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the newborn vampire world she inhabits. In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.” – The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner


My Thoughts
I read the entire Twilight series in days. I read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner in a couple of hours straight through. It is an enjoyable read for those who like Twilight. I also imagine that those who haven’t read the series would also enjoy it.

The story is told through Bree Tanner, a newborn vampire. These newborns are unruly and controlled by fear and aren’t taught much of anything about how vampires really are. Seeing how the newborns that came after Bella and the Cullens were made, and why the one named Bree acted like she did does bring a more in-depth feel towards the Twilight Saga.

It isn’t much of a spoiler, it is in the title, Bree dies, again, obviously. Even though I knew it was coming, after reading her story it made me sad that she had to die. It also however, left questions that perhaps Meyer will tell in more Twilight novellas in the future. I don’t think any of us Twihards would object, right?

I also love that $1 from each physical book sold in the first printing is being donated to the American Red Cross. It is a book with a cause, and I like that!


* This review is not based on a review copy. I purchased it and all opinions, as always are my own.

7 comments:

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Thanks for the review! I loved the Twilight series, so I def want to read this!

Shareen Mohd Saleh said...

I really wanted to read the (now abandoned) Midnight Sun, but I guess will have to settle for this. I'd be really interested in each of the Cullen family member life story before they became a clan y'know? Just in case Stephenie Meyer is reading this LOL

Sheri, RN said...

I am hoping for the same Shareen! I think if this sells well (which I am betting that it does) Stephenie Meyer will possible write up ones about other characters (hopefully Cullens) as well. It would be interesting to read one on Jane too though, don't you think?

Gracie said...

I have bought this book but I haven't actually read it yet but I'll be sure too :) Thanks for the review!

Lucy said...

Sounds like a good buy for my daughter this summer!

The Garver Family said...

I have been in a bubble--at least that's what I'm telling myself. I had no idea this book even existed until I popped over here to see what you've been up to! WOW! I'm going to have to get it and check it out! Thanks for the review.

Sheri, RN said...

Glad I could help ya realize this book was out. :)