March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Today is St. Patrick’s Day which to some may just mean green beer, wearing green and 4 leaf clovers. Sure, those are fun aspects to the day – I mean who doesn’t want to wear green and drink green beer while in search for the lucky 4 leaf clover?

The History Channel’s website actually explains the origin of St. Patrick’s Day very well and has some videos on the holiday and even why people wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, if you want to go there to find out more about it. So, I encourage you to embrace your inner nerd and go educate yourself about the holiday there.

Here are some of my favorite Irish Quotes or Irish Blessings (for more, check out the article I wrote on it)

May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.
~Irish Blessing

If you hold a four-leaf shamrock in your left hand at dawn on St. Patrick's Day you get what you want very much but haven't wished for. ~Patricia Lynch

A best friend is like a four leaf clover: hard to find and lucky to have. ~Author Unknown


I don’t quite know why, but I love the holiday and Ireland in general. I’m not even very Irish. I have a little Irish heritage, but I’m a true European Mutt so I have a little of everything. Who knows? Maybe I was Irish in another life or something.

One of the weird and maybe tacky things I do each year is buy a new St. Patrick’s Day shirt. I know, call the fashion police on me but I love them – and yes, I do wear some to bed throughout the year – so what?



I’m not exactly sure if I have “the luck of the Irish.” Actually, I don’t think I do. I’ve never really been that lucky. I just have occasional luck – and generally when I least expect it or I’m wearing my green aventurine and 4 leaf clover necklace.



I made it, pretty cool huh? Genuine aventurine gemstones (supposed to bring money to you) and a real 4 leaf clover (did you know only 1 out of every 10,000 clovers is a 4 leaf one? That is what I heard on CSI: NY anyways…). Sorry the picture is not as good as some I’ve taken of it (like ones in Etsy shop) but since my PC died on me I haven’t taken any good quality ones of it again and I lost the old ones in the crash.

If you want one like it, just let me know and I’ll make you one too. I used to have a few in my Etsy shop (which is now closed b/c I'm setting up a shop elsewhere) for $20 (and shipping which is whatever it costs to mail to you).

Do you have any plans for today? Drinking any green beer or wearing green at least? Which of those shirts do you think I should wear today?

8 comments:

Hepburn Hilton said...

"European mutt".. love that term! We don't celebrate st. Patrick's here, but i got top celebrate in Cleveland one year it it was so much fun. I hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I think you should wear the black one that says Ireland on it!

I'm not Irish in the least bit and not a drinker so I will just be going about my day like I usually do.

Happy St. Pattys Day though!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Love all your tshirts! Enjoy your St. Patty's!

Kristina P. said...

Your necklace is awesome!

Lee said...

I didn't wear green today.
I'm bad.

Andhari said...

I have one shamrock charm in my charmbracelet. It's gold instead of green though. Hope it brings me luck haha

Are you celebrating tonight>:)

Wendyburd1 said...

I am 1/4 Irish so I totally wore green today! And even when I was in my PJ's I was wearing a Celtic knot, so I was already Irish-ized! I have like 6 Ireland/Shamrocks shirts because I am just proud of my heritage and I so want to go there! I love everything Irish, I own so much celtic stuff and a bunch of celtic crosses (which I am not supposed to wear...shhh!) and I ALSO have a pressed 4-leaf clover necklace!! I got it for Christmas 2 years ago, I LOVE it!! Your necklace is so pretty, good job!

Wendyburd1 said...

AHA! All I need is a tamp, I have your letter, I just licked *gag* the envelope closed! I almost deleted your address, it was in my trash folder. I stupidly thought I added it to my contacts!! SO glad I suck at emptying my email trash folder!! LOL! And when you get it, the return address label, THAT IS INDEED Maxie on the label! I helped my Mom make them for Christmas a few years ago. And only use them for COOL mail! :) LOL!