August 9, 2009

World’s Longest Yard Sale

The big event that my Mom and I were getting ready for with our jewelry was “The World’s Longest Yard Sale.” Not exactly an arts and craft type show that we wanted, but it is a big event and nearby.

Plus, I got to write an article about it while we were there for Associated Content. Not too shabby. Check it out here: World’s Longest Yard Sale

Here are a few pictures of our setup at the sale. We had a bigger spot than we thought we would have had, but our display worked pretty well for the first event we ever participated in.

If we go again next year, we will have one of those big canopies and two big tables. By then we should also have some better displays for the jewelry too.

Regardless of all of that though we still had the nicest jewelry around the area we were setup in and the only ones that had real gemstones. A few other people sold really cheap ugly jewelry and one other one had some decent stuff but it was all either glass or clay. I think we sold the most jewelry too.

We had to wake up at 4AM to get there by 6:30AM each day. Yes, you read that right. I got up at 4AM. Seriously, it was sick. I’m so not an early morning person. Yard sale shoppers are though, so I made myself get up and function before we left.

Amazingly there were people walking around ready to shop before we even got there each day. Before vendors were there you’d see people walking around and then attacking you while you were setting up again. It was weird.

It was also really hot and sunny. If you hadn’t noticed before, I am really pale. I’ve tried “tanning” in the past but that usually leads to “burning.” So, I generally stay away from the sun if possible. I had on suntan lotion and was only in the sun for 10 or 15 minutes max the first day and I got burned – bad. I don’t know how it happened, but it did. It made me even more miserable the second day because I had to cover it up with a big shirt and couldn’t spray myself with the soothing aloe sun relief stuff. What made me even madder though was the fact my Mom kept putting on that oil stuff with SPF 8 in it and she tanned. Really? How am I her daughter? It is so unfair.

Some of the things we thought would sell didn’t while some things we didn’t think would sell did. Really, it is just the luck of the draw on who walks by and is looking for jewelry. Most of the sales did happen though before noon. After then (probably because of the heat) people weren’t out as much and weren’t as happy to be walking around in the sun and heat. Can’t say I blame anyone, I wouldn’t be either.

People were selling everything there that you can imagine. I didn’t see a kitchen sink, but I bet out of the 654 miles there was at least one.

A couple of the local radio stations came by the big pavilion which was really close to us. However, they really didn’t do anything at all. They just sat there and talked to one another. They weren’t walking around or playing music or anything. They just had their SUVs running with the windows open playing music. What a waste of gas!

Over those few days, I saw way too many babies and dogs at this event. This wouldn't normally bother me at all because I like both. However...

The babies more than likely didn’t have on proper sunscreen because they were turning pink. I saw one that looked like he or she was only maybe 2 weeks old even. Do these parents not think about future skincare? The risk of getting it goes up drastically if babies and small kids get bad sunburns!

Dogs were required to be on a leash where we were, but that didn’t mean they all were. The booth next to us had two little pugs that liked to wander all around our area and bark at every dog that came by. We saw big and little dogs but they all had one thing in common – they hated being there and needed more water! One person’s dog took a big shit at the booth next to us which was a really nice artist that was displaying his artwork. Good thing the dogowner picked up the poop or I would have walked over there and made him do so. Gross!

Overall though, we had a good time. We sold items and got to people watch while taking part in the World’s Longest Yard Sale.


Andhari said...

Two weeks old? Why would their parents bring them out in such hot weather? Urgh this makes me mad.

But I'm happy for your garage sale, your stand looks awesome :)

Kristina P. said...

I'm glad that things went well! I hope that things go even better next time.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! you got burnt.
hmm. Maybe you should go at 5 minute intervals every day to get used to it. haha
Glad it went well!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was successful!

TeeTee said...

Oooh... sounds like fun!

The setup looks great!

Kate said...

Looks like it was a good time!

Brenda Susan said...

Very cool Sheri, or rather very hot I guess! Sounds like a fun but exhausting day.
Glad you were able to kind of scope it out this year & know better what to do next time. Enjoyed your article too!

Lucy said...

It sounds like you are learning a lot and making some money on the way too!!!

Being out there in the retail world will definitely give you lots of good blogging stories, not sure if that is always a good thing (lol)

Lee said...

Wow, that sounds neat.
My mom and I love yard sales, so we would've eaten that up.
Glad to hear that you guys sold stuff!

Wendyburd1 said...

I am just like you, I only burn but my Mom can TAN! I am so jealous!

I am glad you sold a lot of jewelery, I hope you made a bunch of money!

Paula said...

Congrats on your first event! You definitely went big :) Sounds like a ton of fun.

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun! Glad you guys were able to sell some jewelry!

Nickie. said...

That's pretty cool! Glad you sold some jewlery!

Carina Blogarina said...

Glad you got to sell som stuff and how lucky were you who got to participate in the world's largest yardsale!!!! I would love to have gone