December 28, 2008

CO2 Saver

I’ve always been an environmentalist to some degree. I pick up trash if I see it, I don’t litter and I always turn lights and stuff off if they aren’t in use. I also recycle, and we even have a compost pile here.

My computer has always been something I use often, so I did a little research to see if there was any way I could help the one I have be more energy efficient. That is when I found the CO2 Saver. It is free, so I figured I’d give it a try.

The download was fast, and the application was easy to setup. I positioned the bar for it on my desktop on the bottom left. It isn’t too big, and it lets me see visually how much CO2 I am personally saving from going into the atmosphere. I love it!

As stated on their website, “In a matter of seconds you can reduce the amount of energy your computer and monitor use when they are idle and prevent extra CO2 emissions from being generated. What's more, CO2 Saver shows you the amount of CO2 you've saved single-handedly, as well as all other CO2 Saver users combined!”

Sounds pretty cool huh? Just how does it work though? Well, it is a lightweight program that manages your computer or laptop’s power usage when it isn’t being used. This saves energy and decreases the demand on your power utility. The fewer amounts of electricity produced equals fewer harmful emissions and greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide (CO2) that are released into the atmosphere.

If you are looking for a new way to help the planet too, I suggest downloading the CO2 Saver. It is FREE and will help save the planet and lower your energy bills!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great FREE thing to use on my PC! Thanks for posting it, I had no idea I could even DL something like this.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! We always use the energy saver setting on our Mac. This is cool that it actually shows you how much you are saving.

Sheri, RN said...

Yeah, I think it is really cool. I just installed it today and it says I have saved 0.13 lbs so far! If that is an average day of savings, that equals 47.45 lbs per year. Very cool indeed. :)

Nickie. said...

Thanks for the add and for the advice!!! =) I think that's probably the best approach! =)